Subscription services — such as streaming services, beauty and lifestyle boxes, and food delivery — can come in handy. However, each one does cost money. Want to cut down on your expenses? Subscriptions can be a good place to start. If you’re looking to cancel your Hulu subscription, here’s how to do it.
What Is Hulu?
Hulu is a video-on-demand streaming service among the ranks of Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime TV. With more than 40 million customers, it provides top-tier network television shows, movies, and originals. Some of its most popular shows include Grey’s Anatomy, Law & Order, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and, more recently, The Dropout.
Hulu subscriptions have been an exceptional cord-cutting choice for many traditional cable consumers. It boasts a massive collection of over 2,500 movies and over 40,000 episodes from thousands of TV shows. It also plans to stream live TV through its Hulu+ Live TV program.
How Much Does a Hulu Subscription Fee Cost?
Hulu has several pricing plans that you can choose from.
- Basic: $5.99 per month (access to on-demand programming with advertisements)
- Ad-free: $11.99 per month (ad-free access to Hulu’s entire on-demand library)
- Hulu with Live TV: $64.99 per month (bundle of on-demand library and live channels with advertisements)
- Ad-free Hulu with Live TV: $70.99 per month (bundle of on-demand library and live channels without advertisements)
How to Cancel Your Hulu Subscription Online
- Go to Hulu.com
- Click Log In and enter your username and password
- From the drop-down menu, select Account
- Scroll down to Cancel
- To confirm your cancellation, click Continue
At this point, Hulu will present you with offers to keep you as a customer. If you’re sure that you want to cancel your Hulu subscription, click No, Terminate Membership.
How to Cancel Hulu Subscription Through the App
Although both Android and iOS systems include a Hulu app, their features differ. From within the iOS app, customers are not able to cancel or manage their membership.
Customers with an Apple device will need to manage their Hulu subscription directly on the website from their desktop or mobile browser.
Android users can cancel subscription on the Android app in a few simple steps.
- Open the Hulu app on your Android device
- In the lower right corner of the screen, tap Account
- From the menu, select Account
- If the app prompts you for a password, enter it
- Tap Cancel Your Subscription
At this point, your cancellation will be successful. You’ll be able to view Hulu content until the end of your current billing period. After that, you’ll no longer be able to log in or view Hulu content on your desktop or mobile device.
How to Cancel Hulu Subscription Through Spotify
With a Spotify Premium account, you automatically have access to Hulu for free. To cancel Hulu, you can either deactivate your Hulu membership directly from your Spotify account page. You can also downgrade your Spotify account from premium to free. However, you will lose access to premium Spotify features, such as ad-free and offline listening.
To deactivate your Hulu membership or downgrade to Spotify Free:
- Go to your Spotify online account
- From the menu, select Account Settings
- Scroll down to Your Plan
- Choose Change Plan
- From there, select deactivate Hulu or Spotify Free to downgrade
If you deactivate your Hulu account from Spotify, your Spotify account should not be impacted. If you’ve downgraded from Spotify Premium to Spotify Free, a pop-up box will display the date on which you can expect your service to change.
How to Cancel Hulu Subscription Through Amazon Prime
There are two ways to cancel your Hulu membership if you pay for it through Amazon: through Hulu or through Amazon.
To cancel Hulu through Amazon Prime:
- Go to Amazon.com
- Log in with your Amazon username and password
- In the top-right corner of the screen, hover over Account & Lists
- Select Your Account
- From the drop-down menu, select Your Devices and Content
- In the Things You Can Do column, click Manage Appstore Subscriptions
- Under your Hulu subscription, select Actions
- Turn off auto-renewal
- Confirm when prompted
Note: Hulu will send you an email confirming the cancellation of your membership. From now on, Amazon will no longer charge you for Hulu from its streaming service.
How to Cancel Hulu Subscription Through iTunes
If you’re an iOS users who set up your Hulu payment method using iTunes, you can easily cancel your membership directly from your Apple device.
- Open your iPhone’s Settings app
- Tap your name
- Select Subscriptions
- Choose your Hulu subscription
- To cancel, tap Cancel and confirm the confirmation messages
How to Put Your Hulu Account On Hold
Hulu would rather keep you around than have you cancel your account entirely, even if that means you take a little break.
To pause your Hulu account:
- Go to Hulu.com
- Sign in to your account
- Click your name
- Select Account
- Scroll to Your Subscription
- In the Pause Your Subscription section, click Pause
- Select the length of the pause (12 week maximum)
- Click Submit
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I deactivate Hulu at any time?
Yes, regardless of how long you’ve been a subscriber, you can cancel Hulu at any time. You’ll still have access to Hulu until the end of your billing period.
Is there a fee for canceling Hulu?
There are no extra charges associated with canceling Hulu.
Can I cancel my Hulu subscription by phone?
You can call Hulu’s toll free customer support number at 888-265-6650. A live agent is available 24/7. Expect a short wait when you call to cancel your subscription. The customer service agent will also likely try to keep you as a customer. Be sure you know what you want to ask for on the phone if you’re serious about cancelling Hulu.
Can I cancel a Hulu free trial?
Yes, it’s easy to cancel a Hulu free trial before you get charged. In your account, go to Manage Add-ons and make the necessary changes.
Will I get a refund if I cancel my Hulu subscription?
Refunds for streaming services are hard to come by. This is because you pay in advance for the month or year ahead. However, it never hurts to try to get a refund, especially if you haven’t used the service since your subscription renewed.
Contact Hulu customer service directly through your account or call a live agent at 888-265-6650. Let them know that you missed the deadline to cancel your subscription before it renewed and you would like a refund. You may get lucky and get a refund, or you may have to count this one as a loss.
Looking to cut down on more subscriptions? Read more about how to cancel your Youtube TV subscription.